Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Classified Documents


I have a few Word documents on my computer marked “Don’t Read”. This command isn’t meant for my mom snooping or anyone else. It’s a message for me.
            You see, these documents tend to be written at the lowest points in my life. It usually means I’m dealing with a problem which seems so large that I feel like I can’t tell someone about it or even say it out loud. It’s either embarrassing, feels monumental or ridiculous. But, I have to put my worries somewhere out into the world. So instead of writing it by hand in a journal, because ink just feels too permanent, I write a word document. Something that can easily be deleted with the push of a button.
            However, I never delete these files. Maybe it’s because, in the past, it has come with the satisfaction of opening one of these a year or two later and being able to smile at how much something weighed on me that has since been resolved. Maybe it’s a reminder that things get better, even when they feel so hopeless.
            There have also been times that they were still too relevant. Either I hadn’t resolved the problem, or it’s something that is so much a part of me, it can’t be resolved. These I will go back and look at every so often. To torture myself? No. To wallow in self-pity? No. I don’t really know why. Maybe it is just interesting to see how I thought about something a year ago. Or I like to read over it because I do my best writing when I’m utterly devoid of happy thoughts. Maybe a mixture of both.
            This is my first post that’s serious and kind of a damper. So I’ll end it on a slightly more positive note. Writing is how I feel better when something is getting me down. It’s a great stress reliever for me. What is yours?

 
Maybe I'll write something like this next time I'm sad?
One can only hope.