Monday, August 8, 2016

Bonjour à tous!

          If you can’t tell from the title of the post and that it is obnoxious in French, today I will be talking about France. But more specifically, my time studying abroad.
          Like many college students today (most, maybe? It feels like everyone at least does the two week “study abroad”), I studied abroad.The Spring of 2016, I was studying in Clermont-Ferrand, France. It’s a smaller city smack-dab in the middle of the hexagon and surrounded by volcanoes.
          Ready for a real cliché people? Study abroad changed my life.
          If you are on the fence about study abroad, do it. If you don’t want to study abroad, do it. If you’re scared to death of travelling and planes, pop some Xanax and do it.
          Study abroad changed my life in so many ways, but the one I will be focusing on today is perhaps the most important: Study abroad opened my eyes to how unimportant I am. This may not sound great, but when you’re born a perfectionist who feels like all eyes are on her and if she screws up, the space time continuum will be shattered, this realization was freeing. I messed up a lot in Clermont. I enjoyed every minute of it. I failed a few tests, I got kicked out of my apartment one night, and I wasn’t someone’s best friend when they wanted to be mine. And shockingly, the world kept turning. Before study abroad, I had to ace every test, I had to be the perfect, reserved girl, and I had to be everyone’s best friend. I blame Barney. He really sets up unrealistic expectations for us all. That stupid flawless dinosaur.

          I will probably talk about my study abroad experience a lot in this blog, this was merely a preview. So buckle up and get ready to be bombarded by dorky, international pictures. 

In front of my favorite and the coolest monument ever. Heck yeah Eiffel Tower.