Wednesday, August 10, 2016

My First Yoga Class

My own Downward Facing Dog

So I briefly mentioned before that I don’t work out. The most vigorous form of fitness that I do willingly is Zumba, which I will definitely have to write a post about soon because I really love it! However, I’ve realized I probably need to branch out and start trying something new if I want to continue pushing myself. So before I actually do that with weights or machines or something else ridiculous, I decided on yoga. I never would have considered it except a friend of mine recently received her license as a yoga instructor. So I grabbed the mat I had gotten for free years ago and went to an actual yoga class rather than trying Youtube videos.
            The class started with our eyes closed, which honestly, I didn’t appreciate. I felt like I was sitting wrong or moving wrong or even breathing wrong. I kept peeking making sure my friend, the instructor or anyone else was looking at me which was too stressful. I suppose I could have assumed everyone else had their eyes closed and didn’t care about me, but that would mean using logic and being less insecure.
            Overall, the class was relaxing, fun and great for flexibility. Yet, I’m disappointed we didn’t actually say “Om”. Not even once. We did say “namaste” at the end, but it crept up so quickly and the class said it so quietly. So I just whispered it to myself. Shameful.
            While it was calming and I will probably do it again, an hour after it had ended, I just wanted to move around. I had too much energy that I hadn’t exerted in my hour of fitness. So I got home and ran around with a puppy. Times like this I feel like I’m 5. I mean it’s not like I got in trouble for being too hyper around the house with my 10 year old brother. Oh wait...