Thursday, August 11, 2016

But Daddy I Love Him!

           Do me a favor and listen to “The Color of Your Eyes” from the musical Daddy Long Legs. I’ll give you some time…
Now tell me that’s not a beautiful song. Tell me that you weren’t just filled with so much beautiful imagery of strolling through Manhattan in spring. Or fall. Or whatever the most romantic season is to you.
Daddy Long Legs was a musical that played Off-Broadway until this June. It was the first show to live stream so that peasants like me in Oklahoma could watch New York City theatre without the plane ticket or hotels. It starred Megan McGinnis, who I’ve loved since the musical Little Women, and her husband. They are the only two people in the show as it’s a show of Megan’s character sending letters to her benefactor (played by her husband).
Cute little Jerusha, writing her letters.
daddylonglegsmusical.com
This show is full of hits, but also a lot of misses. I watched the live stream back in December, listened to the album, then stopped. I’ve rediscovered my love for the music this summer. However, every time I listen, often within the same song, I may be shouting “Yaaaasss!” in my car followed immediately by a disappointed “ohhh…”.
Many of the misses can be attributed to the story on which it is based. It was written a century ago and is fairly outdated. It exists in a time when women were at the mercy of men and ending up with a man twice your age was common if not encouraged. They work around this pretty well in the show, but I haven’t brought myself to watch the movie starring a young Leslie Caron and an aging Fred Astaire…
Unfortunately, it’s not just the story that is weak. There are amazing songs like the one suggested earlier, “Graduation Day” and “I Couldn’t Know Someone Less”. But these are accompanied with the opening number (that is so awkward..), “The Secret of Happiness” (which is supposed to be the big song of Jerusha, but is boring and falls flat for me), and “What Does She Mean by Love” (dude, chill out and stop being such a hermit). Along with this, even in some of the good songs, there are such unforgettable cringey moments. For example: in the song “I’m a Beast”, Jerusha says “Daddy I’m no good at being bad”. What? What kind of line is that?!?
But Daddy Long Legs will remain my guilty pleasure. Megan McGinnis is too delightful, the good songs are amazing, and it hits me right in the, often suppressed, Rom-Com part of my heart. Yeah the romance is weird, but it’s like a Maury episode you can’t look away from and I love it!
This post is an honest love letter to the show I’m currently obsessing with. If you join me in this obsession, let me know!